It’s been a long time. But finally some great news!
So I’ve managed to finish the whole structure of the arm and I ran into some trouble, a couple servo gears melted because of the load. From now on, I’m using only metal gear digital servos. Already replaced two, the others seem to be doing fine, but their not as stable as they could be, so I’m going to replace them soon.
After finishing the structure I’ve started to code the example applications. Initially there we’re supposed to be three demo apps:
- IrcArm – The Arm would have an IRC client, and it would obey the commands of users in a certain channel
- PS2Arm – The Arm would be controllable by a ps2 mouse.
- HIDArm – The Arm would be controllable by a USB HID gamepad
I’ve finished the IrcArm example and tested it live with GZORG and a couple of friends from freenode using the help of ustream so that users could actually see what they were doing with the arm :]. After that I’ve made the PS2 example which you can see in the video, but I haven’t decided on doing the HIDArm example. Right now it all depends if opendingux (a linux kernel for the Dingoo handheld gaming device) will be adding HID support for the device to act as a usb gamepad. If they, won’t I don’t see any reason to make the HIDArm example.
So the cad design modification and publication is next in my scheme, I’ll probably release these design without testing them myself so be sure to watch out for an “ALPHA” label, I’ll remove it once I test the designs myself. After that I’ll probably clean up the example code, release all of them and move on to the main Sortarm project, maybe make a Little breakout board for the mbed in between.
And finally I’d like to say thanks to Oleg of Circuits @ Home for the inverse kinematics function, to zear, z_man3007, ladderjack and GZORG for testing out the IrcArm.
See you next time!